Monday, July 30, 2012

Airfares

Why are air fare prices so variable?  When I flew Spirit Air from Myrtle Beach, I upgraded to their version of First Class for $25 more for a total of $75.  Why is it now $230?  Gas prices seem to be dropping. But why don't the air fares?  Checking prices between airlines, they are everywhere from $230-1,009. Obviously I didn't book the $1009.  Every time I fly, the planes are sold out or very close to it.  So why are they in such financial straits?  As for paying for checked baggage, they are now causing their own problems with everyone carrying on board. Most of the time, the overhead bins are full before half of the passengers are even on the plane.

We loved using Direct Air from Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach out of Pittsburgh International. You could buy Family Ties vouchers for up to $139 round trip and use them whenever you wanted. The planes were always full. But they went bankrupt this past spring, leaving many people with unused vouchers. Fortunately, Chase refunded all of our money for the unused vouchers, within a day of my phone call. I don't know all credit card companies were so easy to deal with.

Gone too are the days of free drinks and snacks, unless you are in First Class. I know people think it sounds snooty when I say we fly First Class, but with everyone being 6'4" and taller, standard seats don't really fit our legs or bodies, even for me.  For $25-50 more, it's well worth it.  I'm often surprised more people don't upgrade.

So far, we don't have any stories of being left sitting on the tarmac for 5 hours at a time. (We do have stories of late luggage and torn suitcases)  Maybe if that ever happens (the sitting on the tarmac), my opinion of flying will be changed forever.

    Until next time, when I continue the rantings and ravings of a mom of an
American Dream Family.....

No comments:

Post a Comment