Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Healthy foods

With the hopes of eating healthier, I thought I'd start with breakfast. Bagels and cereal are getting boring. Oatmeal isn't exciting enough for me to eat. So I thought I would try healthy muffins. What's not to like? Some have apples, cranberries, pineapple, oats, whole wheat, etc.  Well, as Joe said when he saw the finished baked muffins sitting on the counter, they look like they probably taste. I think he said something about looking like dirt. Actually, they weren't too bad. At least they made me excited about eating breakfast first thing this morning. I tried a recipe called Morning Glory and one called Pineapple Upside down.  They both had whole wheat flour, oats, misc fruits, nuts. The Morning Glory was really dry. I'll have to change the recipe the next time. Yes, there will be a next time. The muffins were tasty if not just a bit too dry.

Eating healthy is expensive too. We try to eat organic chicken, meat and eggs.  As for produce, some articles say it doesn't matter if its organic or not. So I go with price. If the organic is close in price to non, then I'll do the organic.  I personally don't feel any different. When I look at the kids today, I wonder where the problems lies. Our parents generation aren't built like us and our kids aren't built like us. Many people blame fast food but I think the problem lies deeper than that. I blame the steroids and hormones that are in all of our foods. I think we eat healthier than our parents, who were red meat and potato people. We eat limited amounts of red meat and I often think that if we ate anymore chicken, we'd cluck.  So why the weight and health problems?

I suppose everything in moderation is the answer.  Besides, isn't chocolate known to be good for you and is its own food group?

Until next time, when I continue the rantings and ravings of a mom of an
American Dream Family.....

No comments:

Post a Comment