Thursday, April 19, 2012

Cooking

I like cooking as long as there is someone who likes eating.  A lot of people say that they don't know how to cook. I say if you can read, you can cook. Part of the problem starts with the cookbook you are using. Often, people start with the fancy cookbooks when all they need one with the basics. My favorite is, and has always been, the Better Homes and Garden cookbook. My book is 27 years old and looks well loved. There are pages falling out. Pages with comments and adjustments written in the margins. Other recipes shoved in amongst the pages. It has basic, simple recipes that don't require lots of steps or ingredients. It may not have recipes for some of the "newer" in foods but that's OK. I'm sure there's no recipes calling for pesto, roasted red peppers or capers.  For my bridal shower, I received the Joy of Cooking. I don't think I've ever really used it. It had too many variations of recipes and ingredients I never had.  Besides, the recipes were too long. Let's face it. I like simple, easy recipes with few common ingredients. But for some reason, I can't trash it.

 I like collecting cookbooks. I have all different types and styles. Occasionally, I'll go through them, pull out any recipes that look interesting and then throw the rest away.  I subscribe to several food magazines and I'm always tearing out new recipes.  When the boys were home, I'd have "new recipe" days.  Usually they were met with some reservations.  Some recipes were keepers and are now favorites. Some were made and the recipes tossed.

For those people who say they can't cook, try the food channels. I love watching some of the shows on the Food Network. Most of the recipes I would never make or even try. There is always some crazy ingredient that I don't have or someone wouldn't like.  Like last night on Chopped, one of their ingredients was canned rabbit. Really? Not going to be on one of my must make lists.

Now that I'm hungry thinking about food........



     A Special (undisclosed age) Happy  Birthday to Gigi !!

  


Until next time, when I continue the rantings and ravings of a mom of an
American Dream Family.....

No comments:

Post a Comment