Friday, March 9, 2012

Donating

We've been fortunate in life and like to donate to help others. We have our favorite causes. We donate to the Food Bank and St Jude's on a monthly basis. There are some other organizations that we also help.

I'll also donate some of my excess purchases from my extreme couponing to the food bank. They always need food as well as health and beauty products.  My mom belongs to a woman's group that send items to the troops. They are always looking for sample size health and beauty products.

For several Easters, a group of us would get together and make Easter baskets for our local community Food Bank. We made about 20 baskets for the families with children. Everyone was very generous. The baskets had everything for an Easter meal plus egg dye, candy, toys, books, stuffed animals, etc.  It was always a wonderful experience, especially knowing the baskets were going directly to families in your neighborhood.

For the crafty side of me, I like to sew and crochet.  There is a organization called Project Linus who donates blankets to kids in children hospitals and babies in the neo-natal units. They give the blankets to the fire departments for kids who are burned out of their house. They also give them to some of the women's shelter for the displaced children.  While I'm watching TV at nights, I'll crochet. Some times when we are traveling, I made a no-sew fleece blanket. They only take about 2 hours to make.  Once I have a bagful of blankets, I'll drop it off.   Over the many years that I've been doing this, I've gotten several notes from new moms, telling their baby's stories and how comforting it was to know that there are people (strangers) who care.

So, if you have some extra time, money, or items, there are always people out there who are less fortunate than you that can use it.

Until next time, when I continue the rantings and ravings of a mom of an
American Dream Family.....

No comments:

Post a Comment