Friday, March 16, 2012

weddings

Well, Nate informed me that the divorce rate is 52%, so I guess that makes us not normal since Joe and I have been married for over 27 years. I think people often get married for the wrong reasons. Some people are not compatible from the start. Some just quit trying to make their marriage work. It isn't always easy. It is just like any other relationship; you have to decide whether it's worth holding on to or not.

I'm envious of the couples nowadays. When Joe and I got married, he was in the Marine Corps and didn't have any kind of extra money. Couples today have two high end cars, buy a house before they are married, and have extravagant honeymoons. Our first vacation was after 10 years and it was because Joe was going to Ocean City MD on business so the boys and I went along. Before that, we went camping, which was fun. But after staying in a condo, I decided that I was a condo kind of girl. The climate control and soft fluffy beds did me in!

All of the wedding shows on TV fascinate me. But are these shows giving the engaged couples the ideas that this is normal? Terry, our favorite friendly florist, told me once that the average wedding costs between $30,000-$50,000. At the risk of sounding old, our first house only cost us $52,000. Do these wedding shows make brides feel that they need to compete.?

When you leave a wedding, what do you really remember about it besides the bride looked beautiful, the couple looked happy, and Uncle A and Uncle B got into a fight. I understand that for some, they have dreamed about this day all of their lives. But did they need to spend  $100 per invitation or $5,000 on a dress?

Everyone tells me to wait until my boys get married.  I'm planning on following the old saying for the mother in law - "Sit down, Shut up and wear beige".

       Until next time, when I continue the rantings and ravings of a mom of an
American Dream Family.....

No comments:

Post a Comment