Saturday, January 28, 2012

Customer Service

Why is customer service nonexistent today? It is really a very easy concept.

Last weekend, we stopped by a home furnishings store on our way up to the mountains. The salesperson greeted us by name.  We were so shocked that she remembered not only our name, but where we lived and what we've previously purchased. When we commented how impressed we were, she looked  surprised and said that was her job to know these things.

When Joe was transferred to Okinawa and I moved back to Pittsburgh, I couldn't find an accounting job. I was told it was because I hadn't worked in the field for 3 1/2 years. So I took a temp job at the local bank and worked weekends at a bridal shop.  After looking for a permanent job for quite awhile, I took a job in retail at a high-end luxury item store as the store's assistant manager. Selling furs was something I knew nothing about. But I soon learned that customers appreciated that I remembered their names, something about them, and what furs were theirs. At the beginning, my lack of technical knowledge was overlooked because of my friendly and knowledgeable personality. Wouldn't you rather go somewhere were people seem genuinely pleased to see you than where they are crabby? We greeted people as soon as they walked through the door, assisted them as needed, and answered the phone friendly and professionally.

I resigned from that job 18 years ago, after having Colby (alias). But the basics I learned are carried into our business today. The phone is answered by the second ring. Whoever answers the phone gives their name (saves the caller from having to ask). Messages are returned within 24 hours. We try to give a referral if its something we don't do.  It's amazing the number of compliments we get because of this friendly, efficient service.

I don't understand why these basics are not taught to anyone servicing the public. How many times have you approached a counter, ready to checkout, and have to wait for the clerks to finish their personal conversations? Or listen to the employees complain about their jobs? Or feel like you are imposing by being a customer?

We have always emphasized and complimented good customer service. We don't expect alot - just efficient service. If you don't like people and don't like your job. then you probably should be looking for a new one!

Until next time, just the ranting and ravings of a mom of a American Dream Family....

No comments:

Post a Comment