Wednesday, January 25, 2012

What is the American Dream?

After watching the State of the Union address, I worry about our economy. Hearing that unemployment rate is at an all-time high, foreclosure rates are still high, banks are being conservative on lending, and that the cost of college tuition is rising, how can the average person obtain the American Dream? What exactly is the American Dream? Is it still the house with the white pickett fence, two cars in the garage, and financial security?

Nate informed me that the divorce rate is 52%, so I guess that we have beat the odds since Joe and I have been married for over 27 years. When Joe and I got married, he was in the Marine Corps. We didn't have two nickles to rub together. Our evening out would be to share a Dairy Queen Blizzard every other Saturday night.  We had hand-me-down furniture and boxes as end tables. I sewed curtains, pillows, and home decorations.  We had one car, a motorcycle, student loan payments, and a rented townhouse. 

Joe always says that a person has to make their own story. We started with nothing. I couldn't find a "real" job because with Joe being in the Marines, the local business owners knew that within 6-24 months, he would be transferred and so I would be moving along also. I took a job at the local Bridal Shop because I could walk to it. I was a salesperson and seamstress. During our busy seasons, I took sewing home on the weekends for extra money. When we moved back to Pittsburgh and finally bought a house years after we were married, we bought the eyesore of the street because we had vision. The  "step saver" kitchen, bathroom (yes, only one), carpet, basement, etc all needed re-done. It took us years to update and repair the house. We both worked full time jobs and did extra work on the weekends. We didn't take our first vacation until after we were married 10 years and it was only because the boys and I went on a business trip with Joe to Ocean City MD.

Through hard work and some risk taking, we have, in addition to our home, (we have moved into a different home after our first home), a house in the mountains and one at the beach, several cars, motorcycles, and a bunch of toys. Our boys both go to great colleges. I hope that in this volatile economy, they find secure, stable carrers after graduation. They both have entrepreneurial interests, which will make them in charge of their own future. We are our own bosses, which allows us alot of freedom.  Our financial security comes from ourselves and we are always looking for the next opportunity. We have our story and are still working on it.

We are on our way to what we consider the American Dream.  Will the children of today have the same desire, drive, and opportunities we had to be successful?  Have you accomplished yours?

        Until next time, when I continue the rantings and ravings of a mom of an
American Dream Family.....

No comments:

Post a Comment