Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Sandy

Well, Frankenstorm has come and gone, leaving its path of destruction along the way. 

Fortunately, here in Pittsburgh, we only got a ton of rain but not everyone was so lucky.  I feel so bad for the people in NYC, NJ and MD. It will take years to re-build what has been destroyed.

Thanks to everyone who texted or emailed making sure we were all OK here.

Up to the mountains and into West Virginia, they got tons of snow. Snowshoe is considering opening early for skiers.  We are going to head up the mountains to check on everything.  It's always exciting to see the first snow.

So what does everyone think about Halloween festivities being cancelled until the weekend? Personally, I could see in the hard hit areas. But around here, so what if it is raining or snowing? As kids, we went trick-or-treating in all kinds of weather.  My mom would always make sure that whatever our costume, we could wear a winter coat or rain jacket under it.  I also remember the Halloween of 1991 and the big snow fall that we had because it was Nash's first Halloween that we were going to take him around to the neighbors. Sure, its wonderful when the weather cooperates and you can stop and visit with neighbors along the way.

But are we, as overprotective parents who want everything perfect, ruining these children holidays?  Aren't these part of the memories, that trudging through snow up neighbors sidewalks to get candy or your candy bag being soaked from rain?

Happy Halloween to all!!
 
 
 
 
Until next time, when I continue the rantings and ravings of a mom of an
American Dream Family.....

3 comments:

  1. I remember Halloween 1991. Jackie ws just 4 months old but we still took her to a few neighbors and to her grandparents houses. I agree that we are being just a little over protective. This is a sore subject for me, as a teacher, it is no longer politically correct to celebrate most anything. I have 32 students and we are not permitted to celebrate Halloween. I have one student's family that their religion does not allow this celebration and one student's family that their religion revolves around this celebration. So we just don't do it. Can't we all just be tolerant of each others beliefs and learn from them from being exposed to new experiences? So many of our holidays have just become so commecialized that the meanings have gone by the wayside.
    Wishing everyone a "HAPPY" to what ever holidays you celebrate throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put, Fran. I agree. Isn't that how you learn about others - their cultures and beliefs - by participating in their celebrations? I wish I was exposed to varied celebrations as a child becaue I think as an adult, I would be more understanding. Cody recently wrote a paper on Jewish traditions and while reading it, I had to google what Hanukkah actually represents. Halloween has taken on a new meaning- as you said, so commercialized. When we were young, we never bought costumes. We made them out of stuff we had at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also can remember numerous Halloween's--some with rain and snow and some with beautiful weather; should we postpone Christmas if it is too cold? The holiday is the holiday no matter what the weather; that being said I had over 100 kids last night (mostly from my neighboring apartments); anyone but me have some big kids (teenagers) coming around in jeans and swaetchirts; what happened to costumes??? I was a bit too intimidated to say no so I graciously hahnded out candy to all; then you always have the 2 or 3 kids that need "extra" candy for their brothers or sisters who are not there. Really? How dumb do I look?
    We vacationed is Seaside Heghts this past summer; they seemed to take the worst of it; boardwalk all gone; such a shame! Maybe the Jersey Shore kids will help??

    ReplyDelete