Friday, June 1, 2012

Mail

The Post office has been running commercials on TV about how great the US Postal Service is and how they want to sustain jobs. I thought it was interesting since they are considering closing so many of the stores. But with email and faxes, I guess less mail is going thru the post office.

Maybe the cuts are due to the poor service the postal workers give. The Counter people are crabby and less than enthusiastic at our local branch.  I have never understood the theory behind "going postal". It's climate controlled and what stress. I'm sure they have their share of demanding customers, but really, how bad could they be!  I do feel for the mail carriers out in the weather and climate. But they knew that was part of the job duties when they signed up for that job. 

There are fewer and fewer neighborhood mailboxes around. You have to drive to the post office to mail a letter. Some mail carriers won't even take mail that you leave out in your mailbox for them. I recently had a letter returned with 1 cent postage due. It was a normal envelope with two pieces of paper. I was going to question the Post Office why it was returned but the line at the counter was out the door.  I pulled the yellow postage due sticker off and re-sent it. It hasn't come back again yet.  Another time, an envelope was returned because I sent it First class instead of Parcel post. Sorry I paid the extra money for quicker service.

We've all gotten envelopes torn to shreds. Machines to blame.  At our office, sometimes the mailman will just put all of the tenants mail in one mail box, leaving us to sort it all.

We know alot of people who work for the post office. Yes, we feel bad that some of them have had to leave their families and move to other parts of the country to keep their Federal jobs. And I'm sure many of the carriers are wonderful and care about their jobs.  But apparently, there are some major issues. 

Would the services be better if it was a privately or publicly held company instead of government run?


  Until next time, when I continue the rantings and ravings of a mom of an
American Dream Family.....

No comments:

Post a Comment