Tuesday, May 22, 2012

No testing on animals

While I was washing my hair, I noticed that the shampoo manufacturer claims that it never tests its products on animals.  Intrigued, I did a quick research on how a company can have such a claim and the product still be safe for humans.  I am not an advocate for cruelty to animals, but I don't want to use a product that could harm humans either.

After researching, and of course, it depends on whose website you are reading, there are companies that use all ingredients haven't been tested and some that do not test the final product on animals. There are also sophisticated alternatives like Episkin®, artificial human skin that can replace some animal tests in a fraction of the time and cost. Of course, the sites appeal to your passion, showing the cutest little bunnies. Honestly, I chose not to read most of the articles because of the details of the animal's treatment.

This weekend, I watched "Water for Elephants". While the movie condensed the book, it really didn't address the treatment of animals by the circus (of the past).  There was a part of the movie where an elephant was beat with a hooked probe.  I thought it was so disturbing.

So I guess the question I'm laying out here is what line do we cross when it comes to animals?  I think I'll be looking more closely at the list of cruelty-free products. And give Koal a big hug!

 

       Until next time, when I continue the rantings and ravings of a mom of an
American Dream Family.....


No comments:

Post a Comment