Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pets

I was in the Pet Store yesterday picking up some pet food when I saw a sign that said "Pet Parents". I'm not real sure how I feel about that. We were never pet people until 2 years ago. I had never understood the whole pet thing- how people treated their pets, how much money they spent on their pets, etc. until now!

The boys had always wanted a dog. We were always too active of a family we thought. The boys were older so we decided to get a dog.  The boys researched what type of dog would be best for our family. It had to be able to travel, like the cold as well as the beach and water in the summer, be even tempered,and easy to get along with.

Snowny (alias) is our 2 year old, 150 pound Newfoundland. When we got him, he was this little black 15 pound fur ball. He falls into most of our criteria. I'm glad that because he is so big that he is even tempered. Although he doesn't like the car and acts that we are torturing him when he has to get in, we always take him fun places, like the beach, up the mountains, to Nate's house at college,  and the boys lacrosse games.  He is definitely now part of the family.

In the fall, he hurt his leg playing with the neighbor dog. When we took him to the vet, she said that he had torn his ACL and would need surgery. The surgeon confirmed this and we had the surgery done.  For 8 weeks, we took turns sleeping on the couch because he wasn't allowed to go up steps and being so big, no one could carry him.  Now we are debating when to have the surgery on his other knee.

He is great company for me when no one is home. I'm glad we had him when the boys went back to school in the fall.  It was lonely with no one in the house and he gave me a purpose. Besides, it's nice coming home when someone is excited to see you, even if it's only because he knows he's getting a treat.

He is now like one of the family, but I don't consider myself a pet parent. He's a non-human addition to the family dynamics.

No comments:

Post a Comment