Monday, September 10, 2012

Self Checkouts

My latest grumble- And I've grumbled about this before are Self Checkouts in stores.

There are two thoughts to these lanes.  One is it should be faster than a checkout manned with a cashier, if the store is really busy.

And two, you don't have to deal with a crabby cashier if you aren't in the mood.

Yesterday I stopped in Giant Eagle to pick up a few things. I stopped in one that I generally don't go to because I'm not a fan. But it was next to the Home Depot.  Needless to say, there were lines everywhere - 5-6 people deep.  So I opted for the self checkout with my 25+ items, which include 15 Powerade bottles.  The line went fast, even though the two people ahead of me had to get a manager for help with problems.  Then there was me.

I scanned all of my items. Of course, three things wouldn't scan. So I set them aside and waited for help. During which, I grumbled with the woman waiting behind me. We both complained that if they want you to use a self checkout, they should make sure everything scans properly.  I also said that why do they put 30 checkout in if they are only going to open half of them.  The help came and got my items scanned. Then when it was time to pay, I kept getting an error message that I was over my item limit.  Really?  So the first manager came over and tried to override it several times.  Then a second manager came over to no avail.  Finally, they asked if I could step up to a different register for a third manager to try.  Ok - by now, I'm getting angry and embarrassed. I feel like everyone is watching, wondering how many other credit cards  I'm going to try before one works.  And of course, to make it worse, I know several people in line. What they don't know I'm still trying my only debit card. The third manager is polite and says he doesn't understand why the error message is coming up.  I tell him that I've had really large orders before and never had a problem.  Finally, he overrides the register and everything works out. By then, I'd like to yell to everyone watching that yes, I'm not overdrawn on my credit cards, and that it was a register error.

This is just one more reason for me not to go back into that store.


Until next time, when I continue the rantings and ravings of a mom of an
American Dream Family.....

3 comments:

  1. I HERE YOUR FRUSTRATION!!!!!
    I also will be picky as to what checkout I choose in my familiar store knowing that certain cashier will have issues. I really hate to shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a fan of self check outs--I fel like I am putting someone out of a job; if I am going to check myself out how about giving me a discount?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grocery shopping isn't one of my favoriate things to do. Seems like I'm in a store almost daily. And I agree with Gretchen - give me a discount if I'm doing the work myself and you aren't paying for a cashier. I know the store in Brentwood did away with the self checkout because of all of the problems.

    ReplyDelete